Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Unique Ways for Getting the Job

A friend, Brian has been trying to get into the firm that I am working at (or will be in August). I had given him many tips and hints throughout the interview process. Unfortunately they did not accept him to go to a second round interview. He seems extremely interested in the job and is very persistant. He has been talking back and forth with two of the Directors there and has requested to work over the Summer for free (my suggestion).

Free Labor. Working for free shows that you are willing to put in the time and produce the drive to succeed at something you really want. It also gives the company a chance to see how well the person performs and how they blend with the culture. I give Brian credit for asking and he is currently trying to work something out with the HR Department.

Persistant vs. Annoying. There is a balance between being persistant and being annoying. You have to be persistant enough to show your interest but not too much which can be annoying. I wish Brian luck as it will be difficult to balance I'm sure.

3 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger Josh said...

I disagree with working for free. I attempted to do this at a firm once, and because I knew one of the owners he sat me down and talked with me about the offer.
1. It says that you don't really deserve the job.
2. It says that your value is negotiable. Not only negotiable, but close to zero.
3. This is not something a credible firm would endorse because it implies explicitly meritocratic rewards rather than an expectation of excellence.
4. It shows desperation. Working for free does not imply indispensability.
Just my opinion.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Meant to say "would not" in number 3.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Darin said...

Thanks for your comments and I agree somewhat with your suggestion. I believe it depends on each circumstance. In this case, Brian has no real job experience in the financial world. He doesn't have an internship like many of the other college grads and this leaves him at a great disadvantage in interviews. If he is able to get into the firm and prove himself he may be able to get a full time position or at least put the experience on his resume. It is a desperate measure to work for free but sometimes you have to take risks to get ahead.
On the flip side, if you have a great resume with adequate experience then I agree with your negotiable value and desperation comments and the candidate should probably explore other options, great comment, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home